Wednesday 2 June 2010

Books for Cooks, Notting Hill


There's a travel bookshop in Notting Hill that has become somewhat famous due to its appearance in a certain film featuring Hugh Grant. On the other side of the road, there is another book shop that is much less famous - although I'd quite like it to stay that way, so I am loathed to even mention it on here. However, I fear my blog does not have a multitude of readers from around the world, so I am not sure it will make much difference. The secret I wouldn't want hordes of people in on is that there is a tiny kitchen at the back of the shop, which at lunchtime every day serves the most delicious food (all handily available to recreate in recipe books which line the walls). You can either have two courses for £5, or all three for £7, and eating there you really would not believe the low price.

On the day we went, we had a starter of bright red chickpea and harissa soup, with a slice of homemade bread speckled with onion seeds. I slurped the last spoonful happily, and set down my spoon. Then the next course arrived. I honestly had not realised there was more to come. I worried for my stomach, as a Books for Cooks novice, I had not expected any more than the already filling soup. The main was lamb with a bulghur wheat salad with red onion, parsley and raisins, the meat perfectly cooked and complemented by the toothsome grains.


They have an array of cakes displayed, made fresh like everything else. The great thing is you can mix and match, so one absolutely huge portion of one cake can turn into two normal portions of different ones, or sometimes even three. I chose a slice of lemon curd roulade - by far the best thing made with lemon curd I've eaten in a long time, and a slice of chocolate marmalade cake. This, I am happy to say I will try to recreate soon as I know the recipe is in one of the 'books for cooks' books that I have. A delicious combination which is often associated with Terry's, and might be considered too rich for an every day cake, but as a sumptuous dessert it was great. I'll be returning soon, but please don't anyone else, unless you just want to buy a book, there won't be any room.

No comments:

Post a Comment