Tuesday 11 May 2010

Good morning macaroon


Every Saturday, there is a young French man who parks his van at the end of my road and sells cheeses imported from his home country. I was amazed when I first came across him and his wares, and over the moon to be able to buy the kinds of local cheeses I love so much whenever in France. Creamy Morbier, tangy Cantal or a cute little Rocamadour. Frustratingly, he is not permitted to sell at the Edinburgh Farmers' Market because he is not a local producer, so he divides the weekend between two sides of town parked in residential areas where the population might be keen on fine cheeses.

Recently, he has started a new hobby in the hope he might be allowed into the market: making macaroons. The other week he sampled one on me and it was great: really fruity, and with the perfect crunch outside/gooey in consistency. Here's a picture from his latest batch of chocolate and passion fruit flavour. I like them because they're smaller than the posh macaroons from La Duree or similar patisseries - bite sized so as to accompany a cup of tea without being overbearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment