Wednesday 26 May 2010

The Real Thing (!)


Tickets for the theatre at the Old Vic on Monday night meant a beautiful breezy evening out in Waterloo. We arrived early in order to test our luck at getting a quick bite at the Anchor & Hope down the road. On arrival, it was of course packed, but my mother spotted a man quietly enjoying his dinner alone at a table in the corner. The fact that, after asking nicely, we were kindly offered to sit opposite is one of the great things about the pub's eating experience - which our fellow diner, as a local himself expressed later on. We were to see Tom Stoppard's 'The Real Thing', so it was appropriate that we were able to enjoy the equivalent as far as pre-theatre pub snacks go.


After a quick glance at the menu chalkboard and ordering at the bar (they acknowledged our need to be fed and out in half an hour gracefully, despite this not being exactly the norm at this establishment), we were able to relax at our table, which was situated by the open door so we could cool off after a sweaty tube journey. 'Rhubarb and Prosecco Fizz' was our drink of choice, and was gorgeously refreshing in the weather. It was not too sweet, and had a hint of aniseed.They informed us it had been created from the same rhubarb compote they use for puddings, which struck me as a great idea.


We shared a plate of soft asparagus, served with a tumbler of golden, liquid butter. I ordered pickled herring, suitably vinegary with a dollop of sour cream, a lemon wedge and pickled veg so each mouthful could be tailored to the desired texture and flavour. Mum had a deliciously meaty slab of terrine, speckled with spots of her favourite colour green. This filled us up just in time to leave for the theatre, after chatting to our neighbour about how lovely it must be to live nearby.

'The Real Thing', incidentally is an excellent play which I'd never seen before, and this production definitely convinced me - not that it needed to - of Stoppard's brilliance as a writer. It's one of those plays with lines that really stay with you - it's serious while being incredibly funny. I'd encourage anyone to see it; get tickets as an excuse to dine at the Anchor & Hope before or after.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving me a mention. It was a pleasure to be able to share my table with you. I'm delighted to learn that you enjoyed "The Real Thing" and, based upon your recommendation, I will endeavour to go to see it one evening soon. In return, I'm happy to recommend one of my other favourite local places to eat, The Garrison in Bermondsey Street, to you. It's a little off the beaten track and not quite so convenient to the theatre, unless you're planning to visit Southwark Playhouse, but the food is good and the menu is varied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, the Garrison does look great. I'm definitely making a trip there in the near future. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I returned to the Anchor and Hope for lunch on Sunday. On this occasion, the single-sitting fixed menu comprised: Cuttlefish risotto, Hampshire porchetta with fennel, chicory and almond and Cherry tart with creme fraiche. Although I was once again dining on my own, I never actually felt alone as the whole experience was akin to that of an extended family gathering for lunch on a summer Sunday afternoon. Based upon your recommendation, I had an enjoyable glass or two of the delightful rhubarb and Prosecco fizz upon arrival. I followed this with a fruity carafe of VdP de Cotes de Gascogne with the risotto, a luxuriant carafe of St Chinian with the pork and a couple of tumblers of deliciously sweet sherry, the name of which I now quite forget, with the cherry tart. I must remember to start taking notes...!

    ReplyDelete