Thursday 29 October 2009

Keeping the dinner party alive

Is the dinner party dead? So the guardian asks. I would argue definitely no. But then I love and appreciate food, so why would I not be all for an occasion based around it? A dinner party should be great, whether the food has been slaved over or put together in the kitchen last-minute. I can't not praise it after having gone out to eat at someone's house last night for a pretty perfect interpretation on the theme. E who was our hostess seemed to have a bit of a thing for Japanese food, I think after travelling in Japan. Two platefuls of dumplings were brought out followed by those really thin noodles in a sauce with lots of veg. There was nothing overwhelming about it, and as guests there was no awkward obligation to help with anything as we ate in the living room. About an hour later out came a warm banana bread. I should have appreciated this meal more last night. Sadly no pictures.
My flatmates and I are trying to see if a sort of cooking rota would work, so we will be able to eat together in the evenings and share the cost. There are 6 of us taking part, so we 're basically having a dinner party every night, minus any formal small-talk or wondering when to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment